1. Brown eye shadow is just for blue eyes: While Brown eye shadow does make blue eyes pop , the right brown does look great on pretty much everyone. My go to is from MAC Cosmetics in Cork.
2. Only use Lip liner on you inside of your lips: I like to break every lip liner rule there is. Personally I like to slightly over draw my upper and lower lips as well as fill in my whole lip with the same color, lightly powder them and add my favorite lip gloss over them. Currently my favorite gloss is from MAC Cosmetics in Please Me. NYX has amazing waterproof lip liner at a great price, Nordstrom Rack carries them of $5.
3. Brushes are best for applying makeup: Although there is much truth to this, I sometimes find putting on concealer with my index finger warms the product and makes for a smooth application and can be quick and easy. I also like to dab my lipgloss on with my index finger as well, it makes for a light application. you can find awesome and affordable brushes at Sephora.
4. Whether you have warm or cool skin, only wearing makeup within your color family: This is the very first “rule” I learned as a makeup artist. Although this is a generally a good rule. Don’t limit yourself! Cool eyes on warm skin can cause a perfect contrast and look AMAZING!
5. Hairspray is just for hair: Sometimes I put hairspray on my eyebrows to tame my hairs. When I am desperate and need a makeup setting spray I revert to hairspray. Call me crazy but it works!
6. Only apply blush on the apples of your checks: In fact you should apply blush were you would naturally blush.
7. Wash your hair everyday: Its best to have some natural oils present to keep your hair and scalp healthy. Ironically washing your hair too often can dry it out. If you feel you need a little help in between washes try dry shampoo, it works wonders.
8. Hair and Eyebrow color should match: Blondes with matching eyebrows look summery and sun-kissed, but almost looks better with some slightly darker definition around their eyes.
9. Apply face makeup after you finish your eyes: This still applies, but before putting on heavy eye makeup, try applying a thick layer of translucent powder under your eye them wipe off afterward it will take off any stray shadow.
10. Don’t pop your Zits, no matter what:Popping pimples is never going to be great, but there are pimple popping tools to help and topical creams to calm and sooth. “I’m soooo guilty of popping with my fingers”
11. You should exfoliate your skin everyday: Nothing beats the soft, clean skin you get from exfoliating, but exfoliating every 2 days is best to reduce risk of irritation.
12. Bronzer is not just for the face: Bronzer is for every part of you. Face, neck, collar bones, cleavage and now there are body bronzers. Become that inner golden goddess without the harm of UV rays.
13. Don’t mix metals: Common sense dictates that should stick to gold or silver but try mixing them, it can be fun!
14. Hairstyle should be neat: Ha…!!! I am the queen of messy hair, braids, buns. I love effortless hair looks and styles.
15. Dryer sheets are just for laundry: Rubbing a dryer over hair to remove static.
16. Grey hair should be covered: Well since I am going grey now and really who has time to. Find a way to own it! As for men I think it looks very Dapper!
17. White liner on the inner eye: I like to break that rules and use nude its less obvious and still works great to brighten the eye.
18. Purple shadow should be kept in the 90’s: No way! Let loose!
19. Only follow your natural shape when filling in your eyebrows: While generally this is good advice , its always good to try new trends. Try using a brow shaping kit. Anastasia is a great brand that has kits with varies eyebrow shapes, they can be found at Sephora.
20. Don’t mix scents: Mixing scented lotions and perfume can create a one-of-a-kind blend.
21. Only use highlighter on check bones: You can add highlighter from your check bones, to the bridge of your nose and a touch in the corners of your eyes, this will brighten you whole face.
22. Concealer should be lighter than your skin: When concealing blemishes it can be beneficial to use a concealer that matches your skin tone.
23. Don’t wear makeup to the gym: O please! I don’t check my mail without makeup. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable simple as that. If working out with a full face of makeup on works for you then work it!
24. Dark lips and polish are only for summer: I think a royal blue polish and burgundy lip can look gorgeous no matter the season.
25. Eyebrow pencils are the best method: Gel and shadow colors with an angle brush can look very natural, last just as long especially a great waterproof gel. My favorite is Makeup Forever’s brow gel found at Sephora.